Pages

Tuesday 25 October 2011

Will Run For Hubbard Chai Lattes


What isn't there to love about a steaming cup of orange frothy cinnamon topped liquid (it isn't a tofu pumpkin skinny latte I promise)?

roasted hubbard squash from Dalew Farms

This Saturday was a day filled with lattes and lazy dogs.  There should be more days like that.  After reading about pumpkin protein bars and homemade lattes I found the motivation that I needed to roast some of the squash that had been sitting in my kitchen for the last week.

Hubbard Chai Lattes
(2 medium servings or a morning full of lattes)

ingredients

1 cup steeped chai (I used 1/2 marathon tea)
1 C unsweetened soy milk (almond or dairy would work as well)
1/4 C roasted hubbard ( more than 1/4 C = a lumpy hot squash smoothie)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
pinch cardamon 
pinch nutmeg
1-2 tsp maple syrup, agave nectar or your favourite sweetener (I usually leave this out)

* I mostly just shake a bunch of spices until things "look right" I suggest that you do the same.

Steep your chai.  Divide between two of your favourite pottery cups.  In a glass measuring cup combine milk, pumpkin, vanilla bean paste, spices & sweetener.  Heat in the microwave (or on the stove) until the mixture is hot and steamy.  Place milk in blender.  Blend until frothy.  Divide milk mixture between the two cups.   Sit at your kitchen table with your favourite beasts at your feet and enjoy.

*You can substitute the chai for your favourite tea or coffee.

* Canned pumpkin works just as well.











2 comments:

  1. this sounds awesome! where do you buy your vanilla bean paste? i've been looking for it around town but haven't had any luck...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess try Home Sense. They don't always have it so I usually buy a few jars when I do find it.

    ReplyDelete