Pages

Friday 27 July 2012

Will Run For Tomato, Basil, Avocado Spaghetti Squash



I'm all about meals that require minimal amounts of effort and time.  This is one of those meals (if you don't count the time it took to plant, grow, and harvest the glorious garlic that is part of this recipe).  

Last fall Farmer weaselled me into helping her plant over 300 cloves of garlic.  I recall her saying something about it only taking an hour or two.  Lies.  Hours later I had scraped most of the skin off my knuckles (breaking apart the bulbs of garlic), had come close to losing a digit or two because it was so cold (not really but my fingers were bloody cold), and had narrowly escaped chaffing from my rubber boots thanks to my fuzzy knee socks.  She would claim that I'm being dramatic but it really was pretty awful!

Even though it was awful fresh local garlic is most definately worth it!



skin your knuckles

freeze your fingers
avoid chaffing with the proper attire


wait almost an entire year

garlic extravaganza!!!

add basil


Tomato, Basil, Avocado Spaghetti Squash
(serves 2)

Ingredients

1-2 T olive oil
1 small spaghetti squash
1 C fresh basil
3/4 C quartered cherry tomatoes
1 avocado 
2 -4 T nutritional yeast (or parmesan cheese)
1/4 tsp salt
3 large pressed cloves of local garlic

Prepare spaghetti squash (I cooked mine in the microwave over a bowl of water for approximately 10 minutes).  In a large frying pan heat 1-2 T of olive oil.  Add pressed garlic and allow to cook for approximately 1 minute.  Add basil, cherry tomatoes and avocado allowing to cook for 4-5 minutes.  Add spaghetti squash to basil mixture.  Top with nutritional yeast (or parmesan) and salt.  Return mixture to empty squash.  Enjoy!

* You can also top with pine nuts (if someone doesn't confess as you are making dinner that they ate them all weeks ago).














No comments:

Post a Comment