Pages

Wednesday 12 September 2012

Will Run For Roasted Squash


It's hard to believe that we have been back in school for close to two weeks.  I say that but no one has eaten the feathers and beads off of my talking stick, come out of the bathroom soaking wet because they decided to sit on the urinal or peed on me or my stuff (I can't say that I miss teaching kindergarten).

I am always amazed at how exhausted I feel at the beginning of September.  To make life a little easier I've been making an effort to cook something on Sunday that can be eaten throughout the week.

On Sunday Farmer and I harvested a hundred pounds or more of squash (now is definately the time to get your own farmer): spaghetti squash, hubbard squash, acorn, & buttercup.  So squash it is!

one of many wheelbarrows of glorious squash

Roasted & Stuffed Squash
(serves 2 to 4 hungry people)

For the original recipe check out TriStyle's nutrition page

ingredients

1 medium to large winter squash (I used buttercup & acorn)
3 T buckwheat honey
1 C diced mushrooms
2 apples, chopped (preferably from your mother's apple tree)
1/4 C walnuts (or raw sunflower seeds)
3 T olive oil
1/3 C dried cranberries
6 T almond flour

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.    Slice your squash in half without losing a digit.   Scoop out the seeds and lightly brush with olive oil.  Place face down on baking stone and roast for 40-50 minutes.

 In a large frying pan melt olive oil & honey together.   Add mushrooms, apples, walnuts and cranberries and saute for approximately 10 minutes.  Add almond flour stirring occasionally until everything is well combined.  Stuff and serve.   It perfectly acceptable to eat the filling directly out of the bowl.   


This recipe is very forgiving so use any combination of your favourite nuts & seeds, mushrooms, dried fruit, etc.   

No comments:

Post a Comment