Pages

Monday 25 March 2013

Will Run For Lazy Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls

very lazy cabbage rolls

I think that running fever has struck!  That or spring fever. 

 Some people danced when their run was done.


The run is over dance party!

Others pulled out the frozen peas (and then fought with the beasts who were convinced that the peas were for them).



Others wrote dear diary entries.

Dear Diary,

So I got home from work and decided that I should just do it and run outdoors - never mind the treadmill, I'm in training damn it!  It was a little cool, so I dug out a pair of leggings from my drawer, threw on a sweatshirt and away I went.  Remembering the wise words of my running sensei, this trek would be 80% mental so I prepared my mind to retain valuable lessons from this, my maiden run.

This is what I learned today:

It really sucks when you land smack dab in the middle of a puddle and get a huge soaker and you're not even out of the driveway.

It's not a good idea to initially take off sprinting down the street like your chasing Usain Bolt for his title, one tends to get winded quickly this way and wants to turn around and go home to eat cake.

It's okay to forget your water bottle because the vomit swirling in the back of your throat keeps your mouth moist.

You really shouldn't wear a pair a cotton leggings intended to be worn with cute stiletto boots as cotton does not hold it's shape when soaked with sweat and it's damn hard to run with your crotch around your knees.

It takes me 28 minutes even to sprint, then run, then walk, then trip, then hobble, then walk, then jog, then crawl to my daughter's house, who is now my favorite child because she drove me home!


So I did it.....80% mental eh? I now know that is a double entendre because despite what I've learned,  I realize I must be mental because I love every minute of it and am doing it again tomorrow !!!

Love,

Soggy in Stilettos 

Some made friends with their bottle of Advil.

Others went cross country skiing.

And finally the girl with the peas enjoyed a lazy afternoon with some equally lazy vegetarian cabbage rolls.


Lazy Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls

*1 recipe tomato basil sauce (see below) + 1/2 C water
1 T olive oil
5 cups shredded cabbage (your food processor is your friend) 
2 cups mixed grains cooked(I used spelt berries & bulgar wheat)

Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Saute cabbage for approximately 5 minutes or until it is almost tender. 

 At this point you have two choices:

You can place 2 cups of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 rectangular glass or ceramic baking dish, evenly spread mixed grains over tomato sauce, evenly spread cabbage over mixed grains.  Top with remaining sauce.  

the less lazy layered version

If that all seems like too much and you aren't so concerned about how it will look simply combine all ingredients in a large bowl and pour into baking dish.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.


Tomato Basil Sauce

ingredients



1 T olive oil, earth balance, or butter
2 medium cooking onions (2 C) diced
2 cloves local garlic finely chopped
2 large cans diced tomatoes with spices1 can water
3/4 dried red lentils (do not substitute with green)

1/2 C fresh basil roughly chopped

1 tsp dried oregano



Over medium heat warm olive oil.  Add onions stirring occasionally until onions are soft (5 min).  Add garlic and saute for approximately 2 minutes.  Add tomatoes and water.  Add dried red lentils.  Allow to simmer for 30 minutes.  Using a hand held blender puree until desired consistency is reached. Add fresh basil and dried oregano  and allow to simmer for an additional 10 minutes. 

*Alternatively add 3/4 C red lentils + 1/2 C water to a commercial sauce and simmer for 30 minutes before adding to vegetarian cabbage rolls.  You will need approximately 6 cups of sauce in total.








No comments:

Post a Comment